Whose that crazy Chicken Lady?

Translate

Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Someone I think you should know- Tammy Szostek

I run into the most courageous people. They don't realize what an impact they have made upon me. Every single one of them! Some I have met once, others I've known for years, and many I have yet to meet. 

Everyone has a struggle, big dreams or a goal they are going for. Sadly, Tammy's story is like the many other stories I have heard from those suffering from chronic illness. 

We met at a Lyme Dis-ease meeting. I admired her moxie to keep going even though you could tell she was clearly hurting. She finds time to volunteer in the community, spend time with family, and still keep a smile on her face.  

I hope you see the fierce light that I first saw in Tammy through this post. 
****************************

Hi Tammy! Can you tell me about when you noticed something was not quite right with your health?

Tammy says, "I noticed about 12 years ago! I seemed to be always sick and weird things started happening. I started having seizures out of the blue. My one kidney just stopped working and Dr's couldn't figure it out."

So, at what point did you decide, "Ok, I'm really sick and just not getting any better by the advice of my doctor and need to try something different."

She shares, "I guess when I had my first stroke I knew something was wrong. The Dr's once again couldn't figure any of this out. I was starting to have worse seizures. But I was faking it all according to the Dr's"

I asked her how has her health challenges impacted daily life/work/activities. Not hesitating, Tammy confides, "It has stopped me from living! I can't drive with uncontrolled seizures. I never feel well enough to go out. I have turned into a hermit. My husband has to force me out of the house. I can't work because I can't drive there and people don't like to hire epileptics although they wouldn't say that's the reason."

Can you tell me about how your views on how current medical treatments and medication changed?

She answers emotionally, "I have given up on treatment. My body has stopped absorbing everything medications and vitamins. So, the Dr tells me there is no point in taking it. I'm basically just being monitored at this point. They say, I'll be lucky if I'm still alive 7 years from now."

When asked at what point has she become frustrated with the medical community, she answered, "I'm frustrated everyday that I am suffering everyday as well as, many others because we can't get proper diagnosis and proper treatment."

So, Tammy was there a moment when you had to step back and laugh for a change otherwise you would cry?
She said that on most days she does.

When asked if what kind of support or feedback during her journey she says, "Mostly positive I have a very supportive husband and sister. Some don't understand. Like one day I can walk just fine another day I need assistance. I've heard the whispers and nasty comments."

Personally, I have heard many interesting and wacky remedies, what is the most interesting or memorable remedy you tried in hopes of healing and did it work or fail for you? 

She recalls, "I ordered something from England. I can't remember what it was called. But, it didn't work. There was a wacky diet where I could basically eat nothing and I still gained 130 lbs. I have since lost that weight. In a year and a half I've lost 160 lbs. Again, no one can figure out why."

When she needs strength she turns to God.

She continues to share that the dynamic in her home has changed since her health challenges began. "It makes me feel like a bad wife at times. My husband comes home from working hard long hours and I don't have dinner cooked or house the cleaned. I feel horrible because he deserves so much better."

Tammy, if you could change one thing in the medical community in regard to the challenges of being a patient what would that be? 

She responds, "Fair treatment and make them believe in Lyme"

Looking back on your health journey what advice would you give to someone just beginning to look for answers on their path? Tammy urges others to, "Don't let Dr's bully you. Fight for treatment with all you have! Don't take no for an answer."

A favorite quote or motto she has is, "I still got a lot of fight in me. Or from, Philippians 4:13: I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

If you have questions or just want to send a virtual hug to Tammy, she can be reached by tamtamleigh@gmail.com or phone 219-895-1334.
email 

2 comments: